After The Interview
Do the self-evaluation immediately after the interview while your memory is still fresh. Remember, honesty is the best approach. These notes are only for your own edification. This is your self-appraisal of how you think you did during the interview. Make notes to yourself of what was said and your responses. Write down anything you feel was a major concern during the interview. Make notes regarding your performance. Detailed notes will help you remember what key points were touched upon during the interview, and this information may prove to be invaluable during a follow-up interview.
THE THANK YOU NOTE
A thank you note can help you rise above the competition. Saying "thank you" is not only the right thing to do, it is also an effective job search strategy. A thank-you note is another opportunity to sell your qualifications and leave a positive impression on the reader.
WHO GETS A THANK YOU NOTE?
Employers, employment contacts, and references should receive a thank you note whenever they have helped you. You should always send a thank-you note after each job interview. You should also send a thank you note after an informational interview, when someone gives you a referral or information, or whenever someone takes time out of their schedule for you.
- Write the note no later than 24 hours after the interview, even if the interview did not go well
- Be brief, but include the information noted above
- Address the note to the interviewer by name and title
HOW DO I SAY THANK YOU?
You do not always need to mail a thank you note. You can also deliver your thanks in person or by phone. The best approach will depend on the recipient's preference and your personal style. This will also determine if it is best to send an informal note or a more formal letter.
WHAT SHOULD I INCLUDE IN MY THANK YOU NOTE?
- Statement of appreciation for the opportunity, and expression of continued interest in the job
- Brief restatement of qualifications and skills
- Additional information you failed to mention
- Final thank you for their consideration
- Date and time you will follow up as previously agreed